Eight men suspected of preparing an attack were found guilty in France
Three French policemen cross the Trocadero square with the Eiffel Tower in the background, on Tuesday November 7 in Paris
Eight people arrested last Tuesday in an operation in France and Switzerland were charged with “association of criminal terrorist criminals” the previous day, reported Saturday a judicial source in Paris.
Seven of the accused were in preventive detention and the eighth under judicial control, as requested by the prosecution, the source said.
On the other hand, a 23-year-old Colombian woman detained in Switzerland in the framework of the same investigation will remain in preventive detention in the Swiss country.
In total, ten people had been arrested, nine in France and one in Switzerland, on suspicion that they were preparing an attack using the encrypted Telegram messaging service. One of the nine detainees in France was released without charge.
Among the detainees is a 27-year-old Swiss man, arrested in France and described by French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb as a “supposed imam”.
Another suspect is a 65-year-old ex-military man, converted to Islam, the Paris prosecutor, François Molins, told the French news public network on Friday.
It was “a group of individuals who wrote in secure networks (…) and made very violent comments,” said Molins.
The detainees planned to act in the coming months in France, although their objectives were still quite undefined, he explained.
According to the judicial source, some claimed to be “clearly supporters” of the jihadist organization Islamic State (IS).
In the searches carried out in France and in two Swiss cantons, in Neuchatel and Vaud, the police found no weapons, but seized computer equipment.