Sign in / Join

London subway attack: arrest of a third suspect

Ⓒ AFP/Archives – CHRIS J RATCLIFFE – | Parsons Green station reopens on Dec. 16, 2017 after the attack in southwest London

A third suspect was arrested after the bomb attack, which caused 30 wounded in a London subway train Friday, the British police said on Tuesday.

A 25-year-old man was arrested in Newport, Wales, about 200 km west of London, the London Metropolitan Police said in a statement that a search was still underway.

“The investigation continues to progress rapidly,” said Dean Haydon, head of anti-terrorism at the Metropolitan Police.

“Investigators are conducting extensive research to establish the facts,” he added.

An 18-year-old man was arrested Saturday morning in the departure area of ​​the port of Dover, a transit point to the other side of the English Channel.

And on Saturday night, another 21-year-old suspect was arrested in Hounslow in the western suburbs of London.

The British anti-terrorist legislation allows them to detain them for 14 days without prosecution.

Thirty people were injured when a craft, which reportedly malfunctioned, exploded in the London subway at rush hour on Friday morning.

The Islamic state group claimed responsibility for the attack but the British police were cautious.

Interior Minister Amber Rudd said Sunday that it was “far too early to draw all the conclusions” and that the police had so far “no evidence” of an involvement of the IA.

The police continued their searches on Tuesday at Hounslow and two addresses in the county of Surrey, south-east of London.

One of the searches targeted a house in the residential area of ​​Sunbury-on-Thames, about 20 kilometers southwest of London. According to British media, this house belongs to a respected elderly couple who serves as a host family and was decorated by Queen Elizabeth for her action in favor of children.

The 18-year-old suspect arrested on Saturday, an Iraqi orphan, lived there. Images of surveillance cameras obtained by British media seem to show a man leaving this home Friday morning, carrying a bag similar to that containing the explosive device of the metro.

The London Underground attack is the fifth to hit the UK in six months. Thirty-five people were killed in the attacks.

Terms of service