Bouches-du-Rhône: a man suspected of causing 17 fires
A fireman tries to extinguish a fire in a forest of Port-de-Bouc near Marseille (Bouches-du-Rhône), August 10, 2017
A man of about forty years suspected of having caused 17 fires between 10 and 20 August 2017 in the communes of Allauch, Plan-de-Cuques and Marseille (Bouches-du-Rhône) Who was arrested on Wednesday night, police said.
This man, residing in Plan-de-Cuques, was arrested and placed in police custody on Monday, it was learned from the departmental public security department of the Bouches-du-Rhone. Presented to a judge on Wednesday afternoon, he was charged with arson and arrested at the Baumettes prison.
On Sunday, six starts of fire were held in Allauch and Plan de Cuques. These fires, quickly fought and extinguished by the firemen, burned only a few hectares.
The arrest took place after testimony about the suspicious behavior of an individual and his vehicle on Sunday night.
“He recognizes his responsibility in certain fires,” said the same source. “An investigation made it possible to impute 17 fires between 10 and 20 August in Allauch, Plan-de-Cuques, the 13th and 14th arrondissement of Marseille.”
Repeated fires have ravaged more than 9,000 hectares of vegetation in southeastern France and Corsica this summer.
Since then, investigations are under way to find out their origin.
On 11 August, a 19-year-old man suspected of causing 16 fires between 25 May and 24 June 2017 in the communes of Istres and Fos-sur-Mer (Bouches-du-Rhône) was indicted.