Attacks in Spain: Liga and Vuelta under surveillance
Relief and the forces of order in intervention on the place of the murderous attack on the rambla of Barcelona, the 17 aoput 2017
Born of the attacks in Catalonia, the Spanish sport is trying to stay on course. But the safety issues are on the horizon as this weekend two world sports events, the Spanish Football Championship and the Tour of Spain cyclist begin.
After three months of summer break, the Liga resumes its rights with ten matches of the first division distributed between Friday and Monday. This involves thousands of police and security personnel mobilized inside and around Spain.
As for the Vuelta (19 August-10 September), it runs Saturday from Nimes, in the south of France, and will enter Spanish soil Tuesday for a stage finish in Tarragona, Catalonia. With tens of thousands of spectators expected on the roadside.
The Catalan police also summarized the issue: “It is not the time to hold rallies in isolation because we can not afford to have situations of insecurity in Barcelona or elsewhere “, Said the spokesman of the Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan police.
But unlike other countries previously targeted by similar attacks, Spain, football nation-king, did not wish to postpone the sports events scheduled this weekend.
– Maximum measures –
The professional football league (LaLiga) announced that the meetings would take place, preceded by a minute of silence in tribute to the victims. “LaLiga (…) hopes that the fans will be able to enjoy matches of the 1st day in normalcy,” one reads in an e-mail sent to the AFP.
In Catalonia, the northeastern region of Spain, bereaved on Thursday by the attacks that killed at least 14 people, FC Barcelona said the postponement of Sunday’s game against Betis Sevilla (8:15 pm local time, 18:15 GMT ) Has not been considered “.
“The club has not received any information on this subject,” a spokesman for Barça told AFP.
The club expected Friday to receive instructions from the authorities on possible additional measures to be adopted around the Camp Nou, considered the largest stadium in Europe with its 99,354 seats.
“Given the increase in dangerous situations and terrorism, the club has already taken a few months of stronger security measures,” said the spokesman of the club. “The principle is to apply the maximum security measures, and in extraordinary situations like this, to apply them in much stricter ways.”
– ‘Do not think about it’ –
In Nîmes, even vigilance for the organization of the Tour of Spain, who said Friday work with the authorities to ensure the protection of the public and the test. The first two stages of the race, Saturday and Sunday, take place in France, before arriving in Andorra on Monday.
“Extraordinary measures” have also been adopted by the Government of Andorra, with more agents mobilized and reinforced controls at the borders of the Principality, enclosed between France and Spain.
“The Andorran government and the security forces want to convey a message of tranquility. The extraordinary security measures that have been adopted respond to a desire for prevention,” the Andorran authorities said in a statement.
The Tour of Spain, like most cycling races, is an eminently complex event to be secured with millions of spectators on the roadside, and large concentrations of public in the stage towns.
But the platoon refuses to yield to psychosis.
“I think we are all in shock after what happened yesterday in Barcelona,” said Alberto Contador, the Spanish triple winner of the Vuelta, on Friday, although he did not fear the risk of an attack on the race .
“I think we should not think about it, it brings nothing (…) It is incredible that this kind of thing happens in our time. Victims) is to continue to live our lives normally, “he concluded.